Sunday, October 18, 2015

A Spoopy Month #17: Rita Hayworth And The Shawshank Redemption

Uh-oh, missed a day there. I'll try to get an extra post in here sometime soon.

Starting this summer, I've been enjoying the audiobook versions of all of Stephen King's short fiction. I made it through all the short stories in about six weeks, and I've finally started the novella collections. The first one in his first collection is probably the best-known, and quite possibly just the flat-out best.

Of course I've seen, and of course I truly love, the film version of this story, and of all the King adaptations I've seen, it's not only the best but also the most faithful to the source material. If you've seen the film, 90% of what you saw on screen is from this novella (apart from the great PA classical music scene), and 90% of the important parts of the novella made it into the movie.

If you've watched the movie more than once, and will gladly watch it again, why not try the novella? You can get a paper copy for cheap, and this audio version, read by Frank Muller, is great. Muller doesn't spend too much time giving particularly unique voices to the characters (does it mean I'm 3 years old if I prefer that in my audiobooks?), but he acts each part to the fullest.

I've linked you to the CD version, as it's cheaper, but if you prefer the digital download on Audible, it's just a click away:

No comments:

Post a Comment