Saturday, December 17, 2016

Christmas With Dave Foley #8: Dr. Ken "A Park Family Christmas"

It's been a while since I watched anything on TV live as it aired, but last night, Dave appeared on Dr. Ken's first Christmas episode. I've only seen two previous episodes, and I don't really love the show, since it leans into about every family and workplace sitcom cliche ever. The parts I have enjoyed are the few twists -- Ken Jeong's terrible use of street slang, and Dave's perverse glee at being such an awful pennypincher.

One of my favorite Christmas episodes (which I haven't seen in a few years) is from The Bob Newhart Show. Bob and Emily invite all their friends, and a lot of Bob's patients, over for a party at their apartment. The patients talk out a lot of their holiday issues, and end with a nice singalong. I couldn't help but remember that funnier, smarter show when Dr. Ken and his wife end up inviting a patient (hey, it's Ted from Scrubs!) to their house for a party, which of course ended in a heartfelt singalong (even Dave's character seemed to be feeling the song). I didn't get moved by much of the sweet family stuff, though a surprise gift exchange made me go "aww" near the end. And most of the jokes didn't do anything for me, though I imagine some of them would land better if I knew the characters.

In my experience, ABC.com won't let you stream shows the first day or two after they air, but [edited] the link should work now for the Americans. Or, you might get lucky here. And, of course, since it's brand-new, I won't put on a buy-link either.

As a Christmas episode, I rate this one 5/10. It's got music, and decorations, and gift talk, and generosity of spirit, and people learning lessons about the meaning of the holidays. But that's just dressing for a bog-standard sitcom.
As a spotlight for Dave, I rate this one 4/10. His tiny, one-note character is at least a fun note.

No comments:

Post a Comment