Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Tuesday Treat: Tastykake (Shamrock) Snowballs


Whoops, I forgot to write a food review last week! I've got a new food review schedule, and lots of great-looking things lined up. First up, meet this week's food-model, the Funko Pop Godzilla. Gollyzilla is currently on loan from the collection of my lovely wife. Here, he's showing off the Tastykake Snowballs, which are all greened up for Saint Patrick's Day.

If you've never had a Snowball, it's like this. A tiny splotch of vanilla creme, surrounded by a chocolate cupcake. Then that's covered in a thin layer of spongy marshmallow and coconut. Usually, the coconut is pink (or sometimes white), but this is a special limited-time product.

I'm not a huge fan of untoasted coconut; my mother makes coconut cakes all the time, and I feel like I end up chewing the fibrous, grainy coconut long after the cake and icing are gone. That's why I've never been a big fan of Snowballs. With that said, I don't feel like this is a particularly bad dessert (at least the coconut is so tiny that it doesn't stick around too long), though I'll never love it no matter what color they dye the coconut. And at 420 calories in the two-pack, I better love it.

This tastes exactly like any other Snowball (unless you have a very refined palate, and can tell the difference between the food dyes, but then you probably don't eat a lot of snacks at this price point). I almost didn't buy this, but there are so few seasonal foods for St. Patty's Day. I only have one more to try. (Gollyzilla and I will see you back here on Thursday!)

I can't find a buy link for these things (though I got mine at the local Dollar General). Here's a store locator so you can find them yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment