Thursday, December 1, 2016

The Space Ghost Christmas Collection, Chapter One


For some reason, this Christmas special isn't streamable on the Adult Swim website, maybe because it's just special clips for a holiday marathon. Because it's never been on DVD, and I didn't catch it during the time I religiously recorded every episode, I'd never seen it till this year. (My friends, I'm sure, are happy about that. Every year for ages I made the people closest to me watch all the great Christmas episodes of my favorite shows, and this would have DEFINITELY made the list.)

It's snowing in space (one year after it snowed outside the SOL), and Don Kennedy's warm announcer makes his first-ever appearance on the show.

Spacey and Zorak sing a song. Then we watch an episode (elided during the embedded video above), and Spacey and Zorak sing another song.

Space Ghost introduces another episode, and then The Council of Doom start to sing "The Twelve Days of Christmas" (featuring lots of Brak!).

Another episode, another song.

This isn't quite perfect for me -- there's too much time doing the Cartoon Planet thing, just watching our friends sing. In fact, the best parts are all Zorak, shouting "Click click click!" or "Gabba Gabba Hey!" during unrelated songs.

Still, I'm glad it exists, and I can't believe I'm 22 years late to watching it.

As an episode of SGC2C, I rate this 4/10: Huge gobs of Zorak, but there's no guest (except a quick, silent reaction shot of dearly departed Kevin Meaney) and no one gets blasted. But that's unfair, of course, since this wasn't an episode. So never mind.
As a Christmas show, I rate this 9/10: It's wall to wall Christmas music, and snow, and wreaths and Santa hats.


(A note on the buylink: This special is not commercially available. Instead, why not buy another improbable Adult Swim Holiday thingy?)


No comments:

Post a Comment